Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Drive

The drive to Connecticut took a total of 6 days. We left on Sunday and stopped in Rock Springs, WY for church, hence why I am wearing a dress. My mom and I were in my car and my dad and Brandon were in the truck. Since the truck was governed at 70, and the speed limit was 75, mom and I decided to drive ahead. When we got to Cheyenne we decided to stop for dinner. They boys were about 20 minutes behind us so we thought it was a good opportunity to let the boys run around for a minute. We were wrong! It was freezing! It was so cold that we had to go sit in a gas station and wait for the boys. Trying to keep Brayden and Alex quiet in a gas station after sitting in the car for 5 hours was miserable. After that we decided it wasn't worth it to drive faster so we went slow with the truck the rest of the way.
Alex had fun regardless, as you can see. He was just happy to be out of the car. When we put him back in the car to drive 2 min to the gas station he started screaming, "NO, NO, NO!" It was so sad.
The only reason I put this picture in is because when Brayden saw it just now he said, "My hands were cold there." I think it is funny that he remembered how cold it was.

Brayden got to ride in the truck for a little while. His booster seat fit perfectly. He was so excited. Mom and I were also excited! On the last day, which was the hardest, he rode in the truck almost the whole day! It was so nice!

We took a long, but worth it detour to see Tonia and Travis in Arkansas. We stayed for 2 days. As you can see the boys had fun. The taught dad how to play XBOX, it was pretty fun. Since neither Tonia or I will be home for Thanksgiving we cooked Thanksgiving dinner one night. It was soooo good!
All together the drive really wasn't bad until the last day. It was only bad that day because we were so close but it was taking forever! I happened to be driving the last leg, so I was able to experience driving in New York. That is something I never want to do again! Whoever said that Utah has the worst drivers, clearly has not been to New York. Driving over the George Washington bridge was really awesome though. After Evanston, WY everywhere we went was a new place to me so it was really exciting. The boys love the new house, our ward is huge and really friendly, and the trees are amazing! I wish I would have taken some pictures before all the leaves fell down. Eventually I will get around to taking some pictures of the inside of the house and I will post them. We are excited to go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in the next few weeks and do all the touristy things that you do out here, I will try and keep you posted a little better. (Sorry Karin, I promise, I will update more often, Love you)

5 comments:

Jen Duke said...

Driving long distances with little kids is sooo not fun. I'm glad you guys are doing well though and I'm excited to read your blog with all the fun things you'll be doing back East!

Unknown said...

that's so cute u maade thanksgiving dinner! I'm so happy for you being done with the drive!! :)

Mel-o-drama said...

do you have new appreciation for my summer trips :) to me the worst part is the hotel rooms at night, after a day cooped up in the car the boys are crazy loud, even after swimming!

So jealous of the Macy's parade and all the fun stuff you get to see - I love the Northeast and hope you do too.

Juls said...

Man, I so don't envy your drive! lol. But it will all be so worth it with all the adventures you'll get. We hope Brandon is loving the new job. And hope you guys don't forget about us. :) We are going private on Thursday and would love to invite you to still see our blog. Either leave me a comment with your email or send it to me at juls (dot) jean (at) gmail (dot) com.

Nicki said...

Oh, my gosh. This brings back flashbacks of our many moves over the past few years. I understand about the long drives with kids. It totally sucks. We'll probably be doing it again in about a year. I am envious of all the things you'll see and do in NY. Brandon, if you ever get a chance, you'll have to travel to Boston and visit Brent. I am going to have to start saving my pennies to come East to visit you and Brent. That would be so fun!!