No more crazy weather please! Apparently it has only snowed in Connecticut in October 3 times in the last 100 years. I hope it is another 100 years before it happens again. When I heard the forecast that we were supposed to be getting 6 inches, I really didn't think it was going to be a big deal. Boy was I wrong!! I did not take into account all the leaves still on the trees. Within 2 hours of the snow starting we already had at least 4 inches. The 6 inch prediction was out the window. Within 3 hours the power was out. It didn't really seem worse than any other snow storm so we still weren't too worried. So we ran to the grocery store to get a few things just in case the power didn't turn back on for the rest of the night. We had some friends invite us over to weather out the storm but still, we figured it was no big deal. On our way home from the grocery store we hit our first snag. The roads in our neighborhood weren't plowed yet and we couldn't make it up the hill to our house. We tried for about 20 minutes to no avail. Finally we called our friends to take them up on their offer to stay at their house. So I walked the rest of the way to the house and packed some bags. By the time I got to the car, I found out it was dead. Awesome right?! So now not only were were going to stay at our friends house, they also needed to come get us. We finally made it to their house and as we pulled in the driveway their power went out. We couldn't get back to our house, so we were stuck. 4 adults and 7 kids, no power. It wasn't ideal, but we had a lot of fun! The craziest part was listening to what was happening outside. Every few seconds you would hear loud popping sounds. So many branches were breaking!
The next day we assumed our power would be on, but the roads still weren't clear enough to make it home. We didn't make it home until 11:00, and the power wasn't on. That night we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows in our fireplace. Everyday we hoped that the power would have come on in the night, no such luck. Thankfully we had friends invite us over for dinner every night so we could eat and shower. On Thursday with more than 50% of our town without power, and my car dying again (thank you, Preston for leaving the lights on) I was pretty fed up. So I called around to 14 hotels and finally found one with an open room. And just my luck, 4 hours later WE HAD POWER!!! The hotel wouldn't let us cancel our reservation so we went and spent the night in a clean room with cable! It was so nice!
SHORT VERSION
Crazy winter storm, 12+ inches of snow, no power for 5 1/2 days, Halloween cancelled, lots of down branches. Not Fun.
Relaxing at the hotel
Pile of branches #1 of 2





1 comment:
Halloween cancelled?! Poor boys. The rest of it? POOR YOU!
ps. but honestly, it makes for such a great story. :)
Post a Comment