Monday, December 28, 2009

It was a Merry Christmas...kind of

Christmas Eve is my favorite holiday. My mom always throws a big family party and it is just so fun. Since we weren't going to Utah this year I decided to throw a party too. My sister and her husband were coming into town and we were having some friends over. The morning of Christmas Eve I was right on schedule to get everything done... then Alex happened. Anyone who reads this blog probably knows him pretty well so you know what I mean. Alex and Brayden were playing upstairs, we heard a boom and crying. Brandon went to go check on him and found Alex playing with a cheap curtain rod. He had taken the rubber ends off so now it was just a sharp rod. We don't really know what happened but we can only assume he had it in his mouth and he either jumped or fell, because there was now a hole in the soft part of the roof of his mouth. Actually we didn't see it at first. We only saw what really happened when he was sitting on the couch and I was on the floor and I happened to look up and see the roof of his mouth, it was awful! We took a picture and emailed it to our Uncle Dr. and he told us to take him to the ER. Brandon took him, and they basically told him there was nothing they could do, and we needed an ENT. Thankfully a friend of ours is a Nurse for an ENT so we called her. She answered all of our questions and told us that he should be ok, but to make an appointment to have him been seen. So all weekend he ate pudding and popscicles, and the occasional M&M he would steal, he is still Alex after all. We were able to get him into an ENT this afternoon, and the hole does go all the way to his nasal cavity, but it seems to be healing ok, so we will just have to go back in about a week and make sure it is still ok, but for now, no surgery, thankfully!

Other than that drama, Christmas Eve dinner was delicious, we decorated "gingerbread houses", and the kids reenacted the Nativity Story. The boys played really hard, Alex ended up with a black eye, 2 goose eggs, and a chipped front tooth, plus the hole in his mouth! Then they opened their cougar jammies from Grandma, and went to bed so Santa could come. After Santa had set all the presents out, we realized that we had forgotten to put out the Woody and Buzz Lightyear dolls we had bought. When I was growing up Santa always put a doll in my bed so I thought it would be fun to do the same. Now I understand why "Santa" used to do that for me. At 5:30 in the morning Brayden came into my room and poked me until I woke up then wispered..."Mommy, I have a Woody doll in my bed!" He was so excited, and it made us so happy to see how special he thought it was. The rest of our weekend was full of laziness, shopping, and playing games with sissy and Mike. It is definitely a Christmas I will never forget, thanks again to Amber and Mike for coming down and especially for the stuffed mushrooms, and our friends the Hoyts for coming to dinner, and Russell and Sarah for always assisting in our Medical emergencies!


FYI- skip the first picture if you don't want to see what Alex's mouth looked like....



This was taken about 20 minutes after it happened, right after I noticed it.



The Shepherd's

Visiting baby Jesus

The gingerbread houses


If you click on this picture you can see Alex's black eye. (It's his right eye)

Brayden was sharing his Woody doll with Preston

3 comments:

Tyler Stott said...

Oh dear!!! We can't believe that it went all the way up to his nasal cavity. Sounds like he definitely played hard this Christmas. Even though you couldn't come home to Utah, it sounds like you had a very enjoyable (although stressful) Christmas. We hope you have an enjoyable New Year!

janae said...

Oh my word, that looks awful!! Poor boy and poor mom. I'm glad Christmas still turned out fun, though!

Nicki said...

Oh, my gosh! I fear that kind of stuff so much. Once, James was standing on a toy bike, and fell off and hit his face on our TV cabinet. I took him to the ER, and they said it was lucky he didn't have much but cartilage in his nose (he was only 2) yet. So, it was a crisis averted, but I am scared for the day when it will really be bad.
Sounds like you guys handled it well. Hey how far are you from Cape Cod? I will probably be moving there in May. Jason will be in Cali for training, so my parents will be coming to help me move. Maybe you guys could come see us?