Monday, March 16, 2009

Alex's Big Boy Party

Today is the day we are getting rid of the binky! It really should have happened a long time ago but Mommy was too attached to it! Now that our grumpy neighbor is out of town we thought the timing was right to take it away, since Alex can't bug her with his screaming. We threw him a Big Boy party to celebrate. I had really good intentions of getting balloons and cupcakes but we had so many errands to run today that we only had time to go choose his special new toy.
First, we walked around the house and found all the binkys. Then I gave them to Alex and he threw them one by one into the garbage. The picture is kind of fuzzy because he was jumping up and down after he threw each one. He wasn't happy about it as soon as we got in his room for nap time.
I bought him a special stuffed animal to sleep with so he had something instead of the binky. He loved that, but when he realized he wasn't getting his binky, he no longer cared about his new Gorilla. I locked him in his room and let him cry it out. I think this is the longest I have ever had to listen to him cry, it was torture!! He finally fell asleep on the floor in front of his door snuggling with his Gorilla and his two blankies. He only slept for 30 minutes. He was so sad when he woke up. But then he got his new toy to play with so it sorta made him happy.
"Yes, I am a big boy, No, I am not happy about it"
He sat like this forever on the couch and was pretty mad at me. I think he is starting to come around. We will see how it goes at bed time.

3 comments:

janae said...

Good luck!!! I hope the adjustment goes quickly and well. I only had one baby that loved pacifiers (Elijah). I had heard that you should wean them by 9 months (I have no substantiation or advice on that count, it was just what I heard). Well, I wouldn't have weaned him when I did because I was more attached to the pacifier than he was. But, right around 9 months suddenly all our pacifiers got lost. I called it a sign and he was done. It was awful, but so nice to have that ordeal over with!

Unknown said...

Don't give in and good luck! All the people I have talked to said it lasted a few days, totally doable. He sure is a cute kid

Unknown said...

good luck!! c'mon alex - u can do it!